Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Homemade Jello


Continuing on my quest for sneaky/healthy/homemade foods, next stop: homemade jello.  I got the recipe from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks for kids Petit Appetit by Lisa Barnes. It was shockingly easy and pretty tasty.  All you need is gelatin, fruit puree of some sort, hot water, and an 8x8 glass baking dish.

You heat the water (1/4 cup).  Put the gelatin in a bowl (1 envelope), add the water to it and stir until gelatin has dissolved completely.  Then stir in about a cup of fruit puree.  The author of the book recommends addinga little fruit juice as well, and so do I.  It really does make it more flavorful.

All you need

I decided to add vegetable based food coloring to up the fun factor.
Works well, but costs a small fortune.

Give it a whirl





Place it in the fridge for about two hours.
When you take it out it's nice and wobbly.

It's is also very easy to cut shapes into with cookie cutters.
Snowflakes...



a wolf howling at the moon, or even...

my personal favorite, the polar bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment